07 May 2013

An Accidental Iconoclast's misson statement

Hello world!

This is my first post, so I would like to give an introduction and explain how I came to my (ever evolving) political philosophy. For any project to meaningful and successful, it must have a clear and easily stated mission statement, and I hope that I will at least come close on the first try. A great example is the founding document of Intel, it still directs and informs all actions of that company, which has dominated it's field for near 40 years. Here goes nothing....

I am a political vagabond, yet have an urge to see the truth, justice and good political practice carried out in my country. We are far from that being a possibility. I come from a progressive town, and was naturally a bit disturbed by the unexamined priors of that political group. But as I looked to the right for a home, I saw it was no different. If I someone put a gun to my head and told me to state a political philosophy or to meet my maker, I would choose left-libertarian. However, I am uncomfortable with that label. I chafe against the need to protect and perpetuate the movement over aligning ones though with the truth and the core principle of one's morals and principles, as well as what one perceives to be the most efficacious and just way to proceed towards that goal. Arguments to expediency, while valid, make me squirm a bit. So do arguments to one's past actions or political philosophy when critiquing an argument. Any good argument or proposal must be atomic; It must be capable of being judged based solely on it's own words and merits as if there were no author credit on the masthead. I will try to live up to this idea, and judge other's work accordingly. I am only human though.

In terms of my own 'moral calculus', I value in this order:
1) Personal autonomy
2) Maximal freedom from intentional harm from others
3) Human life
4) Human welfare
5) Our environment

All of these are obviously interlinked and politics are famously messy and disgusting for one trained in the sciences or engineering as I was. One also cannot just go down the list in order and decide this way, but it at least gives some order and accountability to my thoughts. Perhaps I will come up with a coherent name for my beliefs, but I'm not sanguine about the possibilty. But one cannot avoid one without seceding ones moral judgements to others. I refuse to do that. I cannot accept living a life I would not feel is defensible and honorable. When we must depart this mortal coil, all we have is the works we produced as we lived and our reputation to perpetuate our names. I want to be remembered as a man of honor who did his best to live up to his ideals and help his fellow man according to his own strengths and weaknesses. By documenting my thoughts here publicly, I will not have to hold onto them, and can potentially crystallize them into a superior and more correct form. Maybe I can even have someone read it. Even more ambitious a goal would be to change some minds and in some small way improve our nation and our world. It's a long shot, but we must accept and be accountable to our dreams!

I will attempt to have my blog and writings be informed by and live up to the lofty goals I have set down in this document, although I am sure I will fall short. It helps to have high standards though. Please note, this will not be all politics. I am mainly starting this to take pressure of my facebook feed. People, bless their hearts, are not looking to facebook or twitter with critical though on a regular basis, and I would like not to infuriate my friends and give them a false impression of my beliefs.

Sincerely,
-An Accidental Iconoclast

No comments:

Post a Comment